KING NORODOM SIHAMONI'S BIRTHDAY IN CAMBODIA
The King's birthday is one of the national holidays in Cambodia. The reigning King of Cambodia Norodom Sihamoni was born on May 14, 1953. The festivities last for three days, from May 13 to May 15.
Sihamoni was born in 1953 to King Norodom Sihanouk and his second legal wife Paul-Monique Izzi (Norodom Monineath Sihanouk). He spend most of his life outside Cambodia, namely in Czechoslovakia, North Korea, and France.
Sihamoni lived in France for nearly two decades, teaching ballet. In 1993, he was appointed as Cambodia's ambassador to UNESCO. He was previously offered an appointment as the country's ambassador to France, but refused it.
In 2004, King Norodom Sihanouk unexpectedly abdicated from the throne and moved out of the country. A special nine-member throne council appointed Shiamoni as the new king. His inauguration took place on October 29, 2004
- » Sponsored | Kampot’s Le Bokor Palace renovated for re-opening Feb 18, 2018
- » AIRPORT TRAIN TO BE RUNNING BY THE KHMER NEW YEAR Feb 18, 2018
- » Tourism startups look for inroads Dec 09, 2017
- » Preserving history on Bokor Hill Station Oct 23, 2017
- » Malindo Air set for Kuala Lumpur to Phnom Penh service Jul 01, 2017